Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Forget About St. Peter, Just Send Bea Arthur


I don't need St. Peter to meet me at the gates. One, I'm not Catholic and saints don't impress me. Just send Maudie in a glorious pantsuit with cocktails. We'll skip the pleasantries and get straight to the dish.

I don't have much use for Jezebel.com. I hesitate to call them feminists--they don't seem to have the balls, and they usually err on the side of "cutesy." But, they served up a good tribute to Bea Arthur, her characters, and their impact on pop culture. The clips are excellent, too. Another memoriam piece that was a cut above the rest was in the LA Times. They explained why we won't see another like Ms. Bea Arthur again. I would have loved to see Tina Fey go toe to toe with the Incomparable Maudie. That's the closest female comedic performer who might have had a chance against that baleful stare. Or, Amy Poehler.

Bea Arthur listed three influences on her career:


"Sid Caesar taught me the outrageous; (method acting guru) Lee Strasberg taught me what I call reality; and ('Threepenny Opera' star) Lotte Lenya, whom I adored, taught me economy.''


That's a hell of a gumbo. If I had to list three influences for myself, I would say #75, Muhammed Ali, and Madonna. Probably why I'm not in comedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment