Monday, April 13, 2009

One of the Best Movies of 2008? #2


I saw The Dark Knight a while ago, so I can't be in-depth and precise with my description, but I did jot down notes after seeing it. To get it out of the way, Heath Ledger ain't no Oscarbagger. That gentleman was bloody amazing in his performance. Gurrrl, I'd be able to smell Joker's evil from the next county over. This is how good Ledger served it: I DID NOT WANT TO HIT THAT. Me. The girl who is hot for nut jobs. If Ledger had played it like a caricature, his Joker would be the freaky stuff of my dreams. Instead, that was a human behind that crackled mask...a seriously effed-up individual with whom I never want to cross paths.

Thank you for your participation Mr. Brolin, Mr. Shannon, Mr. Hoffman. Maybe we'll see you again. Big sigh, RDJ. You're the only one that came close to knocking out Ledger's bumper car, so I know you'll be back. As for all this talk that The Dark Knight should have been nominated for Best Picture, well, screw that.

I'll admit that I've got beef with Christopher Nolan, the director. I think he's sucked the sex out of Batman. Granted, the franchise had sailed past absurdity with Batman & Robin...eesh. But, it still had Clooney strolling in a tuxedo and that's always hot. Nolan restored respectability and plausibility with Batman Begins, but where was that whiff of freak-a-deak that Keaton and Kilmer vibed through those layers of rubber?

I don't blame Christian Bale. He's a Sexy Beast. He got me tingling with American Psycho (duh, nut job) and 3:10 to Yuma (do-gooder with a limp). So, Bale can bring it. I withheld judgement on Batman Begins but I was pissed about TDK. Alfred was throwing more mojo than Batman.

OK, so Batman is an uptight priss who could care less about turning it out on a Friday night. I'll get over it (maybe). I don't know if it was editing or lighting, but sometimes I couldn't see what was happening on screen. That was annoying. In the story, the only character development I detected was in Harvey Dent and the citizens of Gotham. Aaron Eckhart was excellent as Dent, and I liked how his story played out. That was very well done. Overall, the acting was sound and good in this film, which brings me back to my first silly point.

Did anyone else notice how attractive all the male actors are in this film? Eckhart, Oldman, Bale, Ledger, and Carbonell as the hottie mayor. They're all easy on the eye, and they wore superbly tailored suits. It was like flipping through British GQ. But, nobody's gettin' any...except for Dent (good on ya, Aaron). Hmm. People can crack wise about how homoerotic The Fast & The Furious 4 is, but at least, there's sex--hot, steamy, bulging sex. I can't tell if TDK is in the closet or just frigid. Either way, I'm just a little black pussy spittin' and hissin' on a tin roof.

I would have found Nolan and punched him in the mouth for stealing one of my Top 10 Freak-A-Deaks of all time...but then I saw Iron Man. Big purr, RDJ. Big purr, and it's getting bigger.

The Dark Knight: 3 out of 5 stars = meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment